This new 6.5-hour eLearning course, delivered through an innovative, interactive, online format, aims to improve your knowledge in the implementation of USP <800> Hazardous Drugs—Handling in Healthcare Settings. This course is meant for Compounding professionals responsible for the understanding, support and implementation of USP standards on handling of hazardous drugs. This course specifically addresses USP <800>. This course describes the scope of USP <800> by outlining quality standards and responsibilities of personnel for handling hazardous drugs (HDs) to help ensure patient and healthcare worker safety, and environmental protection.
At the completion of this knowledge-based activity, participants will be able to:
- Distinguish between low-, medium- and high-risk Compounded Sterile Preparations (CSPs)
- List the beyond-use dates (BUD) for low-, medium- and high-risk CSPs
- Describe the situations where immediate-use CSPs are appropriate and describe the BUD
- Define the elements of a cleanroom, including primary and secondary engineering controls
- List the precautions needed for compounding hazardous drugs
- List the requirements for semiannual re-certification of sterile preparation areas
- List the personnel, facility and equipment requirements
- Differentiate between viable and non-viable monitoring
- Identify the steps to take if microbial contamination is identified
Activity type: Application-based
Target Audience: Pharmacists
Learning Level: 2
The American Pharmacists Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. The following activity is approved for 6.5 contact hours of CPE credit (0.65 CEUs). The ACPE Universal Activity Number for this activity is 0202-0000-19-231-H07-P.
To obtain credit for completing eLearning: USP 797 Pharmaceutical Compounding - Sterile Preparations for Compounding Professionals, complete the activity, evaluation questions, and then CLAIM credit. Participants need to have a valid pharmacist.com username and password to claim credit. After credit has been claimed, please visit CPE monitor for your transcript.
Initial release date: August 1, 2019
Expiration date to claim credit for LIVE webinar: August 1, 2022
eLearning: USP 797 Pharmaceutical Compounding - Sterile Preparations for Compounding Professionals is an online educational activity for pharmacists developed by the American Pharmacists Association and the US Pharmacopeia.
APhA’s editorial staff declare no conflicts of interest or financial interests in any product or service mentioned in this activity, including grants, employment, gifts, stock holdings, and honoraria. For a complete list of APhA staff disclosures, visit the APhA website at www.pharmacist.com/apha-disclosures.
Conflicts of interest have been resolved through content review by Helen Sairany, BA, PharmD, MBA, BCACP, Director of Content Development & Partnership at the American Pharmacists Association.
There is a $260 fee associated with this activity.
Computer and internet access are required to complete this activity. Please visit our website to view the Technology System Requirements in order to have a positive learning experience.