This activity is intended for BCACPs in need of recertification credit and is designed based on the content outline developed by the Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS). This series will feature succinct commentaries about practice-changing evidence through a series of podcasts, articles. online panel discussions, and polls. This module consists of 4 activities and offers up to 2 hours of continuing pharmacy education and/or recertification credit. These activities are part of the APhA professional development program for BCACP recertification approved by the BPS.
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
SPRINTing towards intensive blood pressure targets - what do we need to keep in MIND?
- Identify characteristics of mild cognitive impairment and probable dementia in elderly patients.
- Design patient-centered therapeutic plans for elderly patients with hypertension
- Evaluate evidence to make an informed decision regarding hypertension management in the geriatric population
- Justify a blood pressure goal based on patient-specific factors
Need a VITALity Boost? Rethink Vitamin D and Fish Oil Supplements
- Compare and contrast the conduct and results of the VITAL study to previous literature on vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids
- Identify current guideline recommendations for the use of vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids for primary prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease
- Determine if supplementation with vitamin D and/or omega-3 fatty acids would be appropriate, given an example patient case
- Evaluate the appropriateness of vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acid supplementation based on secondary and subgroup analyses of the VITAL study
Breaking Up is Hard to Do: Are E-Cigarettes the Solution to Successful Tobacco Cessation?
- Identify the advantages and disadvantages of e-cigarettes and nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation
- Determine when e-cigarettes would be preferred over nicotine-replacement therapy when creating a smoking cessation plan
- Counsel a patient about appropriate use of e-cigarettes, as well as pertinent side effects and precautions/contraindications
Should We Hold Our Breath for Vitamin D in COPD?
- Evaluate the potential benefit of vitamin D supplementation
- Evaluate the need of 25(OH)D concentration for screening of vitamin D insufficiency or deficiency
- Determine the appropriate treatment plan for a patient with vitamin D insufficiency or deficiency
- Evaluate the success of a regimen for vitamin D deficiency and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Activity type: Application-based
Target Audience: Pharmacists
Learning level: 2
The American Pharmacists Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. This activity is approved for 0.2 contact hours of CPE credit (0.2 CEUs). The ACPE Universal Activity Number for this activity is 0202-0000-19-279-H04-P.
To obtain credit for Evidence-Based Practice Module 2, complete the learning activities, assessment with a grade of 71% or better, and evaluation questions. Then, you will be able to claim credit. Participants need to have a valid pharmacist.com username and password to claim credit. After credit has been claimed, please visit CPE monitor for your transcript.
Initial release date: October 11, 2019
Expiration date: October 11, 2022
Evidence-Based Practice Module 2 is an online educational activity for pharmacists developed by the American Pharmacists Association.
APhA’s editorial staff declares no conflicts of interest or financial interests in any product or service mentioned in this activity, including grants, employment, gifts, stock holdings, and honoraria. For a complete list of APhA staff disclosures, visit the APhA website at www.pharmacist.com/apha-disclosures.
Conflicts of interest have been resolved through content review by Helen Sairany, BA, PharmD, MBA, BCACP, Director of Content Development & Partnership at the American Pharmacists Association.
Computer and internet access are required to complete this activity. Please visit our website to view the Technology System Requirements in order to have a positive learning experience.