Hypertension is ubiquitous in daily medical practice. Get an in-depth analysis of recent changes in definitions and treatment goals, the evaluation principles for complex cases, and the adverse events and difficulties that impart cardiovascular risk in patients with hypertension. Explore the types and causes of resistant hypertension, four cases of difficult management scenarios, and logical steps to address the road barriers to treatment success.
At the completion of this application-based activity, participants will be able to:
- Explain recommendations from the newest American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association guidelines for the treatment of patients with hypertension.
- Evaluate recent evidence assessing the efficacy of different blood pressure goals in hypertensive patients who present with and without comorbid conditions.
- Formulate a care plan for patients with resistant hypertension.
- Recommend appropriate medication regimens for the treatment of hypertension in patients with heart failure.
- Recommend appropriate medication regimens for the treatment of hypertension in frail elderly patients.
- Formulate patient-centered treatment plans for transplant patients with drug-induced hypertension.
Activity type: Application-based
Target Audience: Pharmacists
Learning Level: 2
The American Pharmacists Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. The following archived webinar is approved for 2.0 contact hour of CPE credit (0.2 CEUs). The ACPE Universal Activity Number for this activity is 0202-0000-19-046-H04-P.
To obtain credit for completing Managing Complex Patients and Hard-to-Control Hypertension, watch the archived webinar, complete the assessment with a grade of 70% or better, complete the evaluation questions, and then CLAIM credit. Participants need to have a valid pharmacist.com username and password to claim credit. After credit has been claimed, please visit CPE monitor for your transcript.
Initial release date: March 23, 2019
Expiration date: March 23, 2022
Managing Complex Patients and Hard-to-Control Hypertension is an archived, online educational activity for pharmacists developed by the American Pharmacists Association.
Joseph Saseen, PharmD, BCPS, BCACP; Cory P. Coffey, PharmD, BCACP; and APhA’s editorial staff declare no conflicts of interest or financial interests in any product or service mentioned in this activity, including grants, employment, gifts, stock holdings, and honoraria. For a complete list of APhA staff disclosures, visit the APhA website at www.pharmacist.com/apha-disclosures.
Conflicts of interest have been resolved through content review by Helen Sairany, BA, PharmD, MBA, BCACP, Director of Content Development & Partnership at the American Pharmacists Association.
There is no fee associated with this member only activity as part of the 2019 Home Study on Demand package.
Computer and internet access are required to complete this activity. Please visit our website to view the Technology System Requirements.