Originally developed by Washington State University (WSU) and recently revised through a partnership between WSU and the American Pharmacists Association (APhA), the APhA/WSU Pharmacy-Based Immunization Administration by Pharmacy Technicians training program explores the expanding role of the pharmacy technician by providing additional skills training to administer immunizations. This two-part program emphasizes a health care team collaboration between pharmacists and technicians which seeks to improve population health by increasing immunization rates in states that allow technicians to immunize.
Composed of an online self-study component combined with a live seminar that teaches hands-on immunization techniques, this program will provide a total of six hours of continuing education for technicians and pharmacists.
Activity Type: Application-based
Target Audience: Technicians in all practice settings
Learning Level: Level 3
At the completion of the self-study component, the learner will be able to:
- Describe proper technique when drawing up and administering immunizations
- Recognize commonly used vaccines and their corresponding routes of administration
- Distinguish proper needle length selection based on vaccine and patient age and size
- Identify proper documentation procedures
- Recall vaccine storage requirements
- Describe safety measures to avoid accidental needle stick injuries
- Recognize appropriate actions to take in emergency situations
At the completion of the live component, the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate a successful technique when administering an intramuscular and subcutaneous injection.
- Demonstrate appropriate distraction techniques during immunization administration.
- Demonstrate the use of universal precautions as they pertain to blood borne pathogens
- Explain the procedures for managing a vaccine reaction emergency
This ACPE activity does not provide a certification in this topic but rather advanced professional training which upon successful completion the learner will be able to download a certificate of achievement.
Accreditation and Activity Completion Requirements
The American Pharmacists Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. APhA's Pharmacy-Based Immunization Administration by Pharmacy Technicians training program is approved for a total of 6.0 contact hours of continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit (0.6 CEUs). The ACPE Universal Activity Numbers (UAN) for this activity are listed below.
- Successful completion of the self-study component involves passing the self-study assessment with a grade of 70% or higher and will result in 2 contact hours of CPE credit (0.2 CEUs). ACPE UAN: 0202-9999-20-124-H06-T/P
- Successful completion of the live seminar component involves attending the full live seminar, successfully completing the injection technique assessment, and completing the online assessment and evaluation. Successful completion of this component will result in 4 contact hours of CPE credit (0.4 CEU). ACPE UAN: 0202-9999-20-125-L06-T/P
To obtain 6.0 contact hours of CPE credit (0.6 CEUs) for APhA's APhA's Pharmacy-Based Immunization Administration by Pharmacy Technicians training program, the learner must complete all components listed above, and CLAIM credit for each component. Participants will need to have a valid APhA (pharmacist.com) username and password, as well as a CPE Monitor account to claim credit. After credit has been claimed, please visit CPE monitor for your transcript. The Certificate of Achievement will be available online upon successful completion of the necessary activity requirements on the participant’s My Training page.
APhA continuing pharmacy education policy provides you with two opportunities to successfully complete the continuing pharmacy education assessment. Please note that you will not be permitted to submit the assessment a third time. The current policy of the APhA Education Department is not to release the correct answers to any of our CPE tests. This policy is intended to maintain the integrity of the CPE activity and the assessment.
Release Date: February 5, 2020
Expiration Date: February 5, 2023 - PLEASE NOTE: NO Home Study credit granted after this date; Live Credit can only be granted within 60 days from the day of the seminar attended.
The Pharmacy-Based Immunization Administration by Pharmacy Technicians training program was developed by the American Pharmacists Association and Washington State University. Copyright © 2020 by the American Pharmacists Association and Washington State University.
Computer and Internet access is required to complete this activity. Please visit our website to view the Technology System Requirements to have a positive learning experience.
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE# 0202-0000-20-124-H06-T||0.2 CEUs||February 05, 2020 - February 05, 2023|
|ACPE# 0202-0000-20-124-H06-P||0.2 CEUs||February 05, 2020 - February 05, 2023|
|ACPE# 0202-9999-20-125-L06-T||0.4 CEUs||February 05, 2020 - February 05, 2023|
|ACPE# 0202-9999-20-125-L06-P||0.4 CEUs||February 05, 2020 - February 05, 2023|
|COA_IMZ_TECH||0.001 Hours||from June 01, 2020|